Security: “We have nothing to hide,” says Otti

4

 Gov. Alex Otti of Abia says his administration’s non-interference in security operations contributed to the impressive security gains recorded in the state since he assumed office.

Otti said this at the send-off ceremony organised by the Abia Government in honour of the immediate past service commanders, held at the Michael Okpara Auditorium, Umuahia, on Wednesday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the outgone commanders included the former 14 Brigade Commander, Nigerian Army, Ohafia, Brig.-Gen. Hassan  Bello; and former Abia Commissioner of Police, Mr Danladi Isah.

Others were the outgone State Director of Security Services, Mr Ibrahim Sariki; the former State Commander of NSCDC, Mr Akinsola Aderemi; and former Commander of NDLEA, Mr Chigbu Chile.

The governor said: “The reason we don’t interfere is that we have nothing to hide. And for us, what is right is right. If it is not right, it’s not right.

“Because, I won’t pick up my phone and call the Commissioner of Police or anybody to say release somebody.

“Once you start doing that, then you’ve started losing it.”

He commended the outgone commanders for their sacrifices, hard work, discipline and cooperation in securing the state.

He pointed out that their work often required them to sacrifice sleep so that residents could sleep peacefully.

“I relied on all of you, and because we take security very seriously, and because we also have God on our side, the results have been very impressive,” he said.

The governor assured them that the cordial relationships built during their service in Abia would continue, in spite their transfers.

He assured them that the state would remain hospitable to them.

He also disclosed that additional parting gifts had been arranged for them and would be delivered to them by his Special Adviser on Security Matters.

In a brief remark, the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Emmanuel Meribeole, commended the commanders for their contributions to strengthening the state’s security architecture.

Meribeole said they served at a time security received priority attention by the administration, adding that their collaboration with the government had produced positive results.

He urged their successors to remain committed to protecting lives and property.

Also, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Security Matters, Navy Commander MacDonald Ubah (rtd.), said that the send-off had become a tradition under the Otti-led administration as a way of appreciating security commanders for their service to Abia.

Ubah thanked the governor for providing the necessary logistics and support for security agencies.

He urged the new commanders to emulate the commitment of their predecessors.

In their separate goodwill messages, the outgone commanders lauded Otti’s administration for its sustained support for security agencies.

They described Otti as a security-friendly governor, whose support and provision of logistics motivated them to perform their duties effectively.

They also described Abia as one of the most secure states in the country, attributing the feat to the governor’s commitment to security.

The ceremony was attended by top government functionaries, security chiefs and other dignitaries.(NAN)