
Borno has secured about €61 million in new funding from the United Nations (UN) and development partners to strengthen peacebuilding and recovery efforts.
The funding will support interventions across the state over the next two years, Gov. Babagana Zulum disclosed on Thursday in Maiduguri.
Zulum spoke while briefing journalists after the fourth UN Offer Board and Peacebuilding Fund Steering Committee meeting in Maiduguri.
He said the new phase of the UN Offer Programme followed the successful completion of its first phase, which supported peacebuilding activities across Borno.
“Another new phase of the UN Offer has also been launched, amounting to about 61 million Euros, which should be spent within the next two years,” he said.
The governor said Germany had already contributed about €10 million to the new basket fund supporting the programme.
“While the United Kingdom, Switzerland and other development partners are expected to make additional contributions,” he said.
Zulum added that the Borno Government would also contribute to the basket fund to demonstrate ownership and support effective implementation of the programme.
He commended the UN Resident Coordinator, Federal Ministry of Budget and Economic Planning, UN Development Programme (UNDP) and development partners.
The governor appreciated their continued support for peacebuilding, recovery and reconstruction efforts in the state.
Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Sen. Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, described Borno’s multi-partner coordination framework as a model for replication elsewhere.
Bagudu said the framework could be adopted in other parts of Nigeria and countries confronting similar humanitarian and development challenges.
He said it provided a unified funding mechanism and common understanding among government, the UN and development partners.
According to him, the arrangement would help address Borno’s post-insurgency recovery needs in a coordinated and sustainable manner.
Chargé d’Affaires of Germany to Nigeria, Johannes Lehne, revealed that Germany would commit another €10 million to the programme.
Lehne expressed optimism that the intervention, under the leadership of the Borno and Federal Governments, would promote peace and prosperity.
UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator, Mr Mohammed Fall, said coordinated action and strong leadership remained essential to addressing Borno’s challenges.
Fall said such efforts were also necessary to tackle challenges confronting the wider region.
He commended Zulum and Bagudu for demonstrating commitment to the peacebuilding initiative and its objectives. (NAN)
















