Police arrest 12 for alleged sexual offences against minors, others crimes in Edo

4

The police command in Edo says it has arrested six suspects over separate allegations of sexual offences involving minors, with some already arraigned and remanded in custody.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Patrick Daaor, disclosed this on Tuesday in Benin  at a news conference on the recent operational activities of the command.

Daaor said the cases involved alleged sexual offences against children aged between eight and 15 years, with investigations ongoing in some of the cases.

He said a 52-year-old man was arrested on Aug. 5 over an allegation involving a 13-year-old girl.

“The complainant alleged that the suspect,  who was engaged as a home lesson teacher, sexually assaulted the child,” he said.

Daaor noted that the suspect was charged before a Benin High Court on Aug. 14, and subsequently remanded at Oko Correctional Centre.

The commissioner also disclosed the arrest of a 42-year-old man, following a report of alleged rape or defilement of his 15-year-old daughter in Iyahmo, Etsako West Local Government Area of the state.

“Following a discreet investigation after the case was transferred to the state headquarters, the suspect was charged to court on Aug. 14.

“The suspect was subsequently remanded at the Benin Correctional Centre pending further proceedings,” Daaor said.

In another case, the commissioner of police said a 29-year-old man was arrested over the alleged defilement of an 11-year-old girl in Okhoro.

The case, he said, was transferred from Okhoro Police Station to the Gender and Family Support Unit of the State Criminal Investigation Department, Benin.

According to him, the complainant alleged that the suspect  lured the child to an uncompleted building behind his shop, where he allegedly had unlawful sexual intercourse with her.

“The suspect was subsequently arraigned before a Benin High Court and remanded at Oko Correctional Centre,” he said.

The commissioner further disclosed the arrest of another  26-year-old man  over the alleged defilement of a 14-year-old girl in Okpella, Etsako East Local Government Area of the state.

Preliminary investigation, he said, revealed that the suspect  allegedly took the girl on a motorcycle to an uncompleted building at Afokpella.

“He allegedly had unlawful sexual intercourse with the girl and subsequently gave her N2,000,” the police chief said.

Daaor said the survivor was taken to hospital for medical evaluation and attention, while the suspect was  remained in custody.

He said preliminary investigation was ongoing, after which the suspect would be arraigned in court.

The commissioner also disclosed the arrest of 21-year-old  man, over the alleged defilement of an eight-year-old girl in New Etete, Benin City.

He said the complaint alleged that the suspect sexually assaulted the child while her parents were away from home.

Daaor said the child had previously disclosed repeated sexual harassment by the same suspect.

He said the suspect had been arrested and detained, while the victim was taken to Viviana Medical Centre for medical examination.

In another case, Daaor said the command received a report on Aug. 13 concerning the alleged sexual assault of a 12-year-old male apprentice.

He said the suspect had been arrested and investigation was ongoing.

The police chief assured residents of Edo that the command would continue to pursue cases of alleged sexual abuse while respecting the rights of all parties and ensuring due process.

Daaor also said one of the command’s recent breakthroughs was the recovery of three locally made Beretta pistols in Benin City.

The weapon, he said, was concealed under unripe plantains in a sack abandoned at Flight Transport Services, at Akpakpava.

According to him, the sack had been presented for waybill to Benue on Aug. 5, when an unknown man abandoned it.

He said technical intelligence and sustained investigation led to the arrest of 27-year-old man  on Aug. 7.

“The suspect confessed to sending the sack and admitted membership of the Aye Secret Cult Confraternity,” Daaor said.

He added that the suspect claimed the firearms were given to him by one man,  whose name was unknown, from Iyanomo Community, for repairs in Benue.

Daaor said the suspect also claimed the weapons were intended for use in an ongoing cult rivalry, adding that investigation was continuing to apprehend other persons connected with the matter.

The commissioner said operatives of the Anti-Cultism and Anti-Kidnapping Unit, working with the Government House Task Force, also arrested four suspected cult members at Egbaen Community, off Ekenhuan Road, Benin City.

He identified the suspects as  27; 30; 29; and  30 year olds.

According to him, the operation led to the recovery of four locally fabricated pistols, one locally made Beretta pistol and one cut-to-size double-barrel gun.

He said the suspects allegedly confessed to membership of the Aiye Confraternity Cult.

“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend other members of the syndicate,” he said.

Daaor also disclosed the recovery of 58 rounds of AK-47 live ammunition and an additional magazine from a suspected kidnapping and armed robbery syndicate.

He said two suspected members of the syndicate, a  22 year old and , and  23 year old  arrested at Okada, Ovia North East Local Government Area, on June 29.

According to him, the suspects had earlier led operatives to a forest,  bordering Abudu in Edo and Obiaruku in Delta, where three AK-pattern rifles and two magazines were recovered at different locations.

He said on Aug. 12, the suspects again led operatives to the forest, resulting in the recovery of the 58 rounds of ammunition and an additional magazine.

Daaor said efforts were ongoing to arrest other members of the syndicate and recover more operational weapons.

On suspected criminal activity targeting media infrastructure, the commissioner said two suspects had been arrested over the alleged vandalism of Africa Independent Television (AIT) premises along Benin-Idogbo Road, Ikhueniro Community.

Daaor said the suspects were arrested on Aug. 10 in possession of television master control room transmission equipment,  valued at approximately N150 million.

“The exhibits have been recovered, while the suspects are cooperating with the police to extend the investigation and apprehend other members of the syndicate,” he said.

The commissioner also disclosed the recovery of a stolen Lexus 350 saloon car following a robbery at Iduowinna Community, Benin City.

He said six armed hoodlums invaded a compound on Jesus Christ Street at about 1:15 a.m. on Aug. 14 and robbed residents and neighbouring apartments of phones, laptops, wristwatches, perfumes and human hair.

“A Lexus 350, with registration number BWR 988 DH, was also taken from one of the victims,” he said.

Daaor said police divisions were immediately alerted and patrols intensified, leading to the recovery of the vehicle at Oba Market at about 9 a.m. the same day.

He said investigation was ongoing to arrest the fleeing suspects and recover the remaining stolen items.

The commissioner said police also recovered two Toyota Highlander SUVs suspected to have been stolen or abandoned at Five Junction, off Iheya-Uselu Lagos Road, Benin City.

He said a surveillance team attached to Okhoro Division intercepted the vehicles on Aug. 15 at about 1 p.m.

“One of the vehicles is confirmed to have been stolen from someone,” he said, adding that a toy gun was recovered from one of the vehicles.

Daaor said investigation was ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding the vehicles and identify those responsible.

On kidnapping, the commissioner said operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit rescued a woman, identified as Elizabeth William, at Ogheghe Community, off Benin-Auchi Road, following a distress call on Aug. 5.

He said preliminary investigation showed that the suspect allegedly met the victim through TikTok, before inviting her to his residence under the guise of a romantic date.

“However, the lady was held captive and her family contacted for ransom. The sum of five hundred thousand Naira (N500,000) was paid as ransom for her release,” he said.

Daaor said preliminary investigation also revealed that the suspect was allegedly a member of the Aiye Secret Cult.

Daaor said the command is strengthening its operational posture by making Edo a “highly mobile command” to deny criminals a comfortable operating environment.

“Our approach is one of prevention, swift intervention, intelligence gathering, effective investigation and prosecution, while maintaining respect for the rights of all residents,” he said.

He said the command is also deepening inter-command and inter-state collaboration to strengthen security operations across the state. (NAN)